14 8 / 2012

This is Callie, an approximately 15-18yr old female (probably intact) cat that one of our frequent flyer clients found in her yard yesterday covered in flies from that horrendous eye infection. It’s unclear from a physical exam what’s causing the eye issue, because it could just be an infection or it could be a tumor or a tooth root abscess, but the client couldn’t afford to do diagnostics and couldn’t keep her anyway. I had her surrender the kitty to me, because I just couldn’t bring myself to euthanize a cat over what might just be an eye infection. 

Skull rads are pending (but unlikely to be conclusive because we did them with Callie awake, so further sedated rads will need to be done tomorrow) and labwork is pending. Tomorrow I’ll make a decision as far as treating her further/doing more diagnostics and euthanasia. If she’s in kidney failure or there’s an obvious skull mass or something along those lines I’ll probably euthanize. If her bloodwork comes back clean and it’s a dental issue or just an infection I’ll treat her and try to place her.

I’m not asking for donations towards her care, but if anyone wants to send some kind thoughts her way she could really use them. Since I don’t know yet what we’re dealing with I’m also not looking for an adoptive home quite yet, although if anyone is interested in giving her a home for her last few years if all turns out well, definitely let me know.

This is Callie, an approximately 15-18yr old female (probably intact) cat that one of our frequent flyer clients found in her yard yesterday covered in flies from that horrendous eye infection. It’s unclear from a physical exam what’s causing the eye issue, because it could just be an infection or it could be a tumor or a tooth root abscess, but the client couldn’t afford to do diagnostics and couldn’t keep her anyway. I had her surrender the kitty to me, because I just couldn’t bring myself to euthanize a cat over what might just be an eye infection.

Skull rads are pending (but unlikely to be conclusive because we did them with Callie awake, so further sedated rads will need to be done tomorrow) and labwork is pending. Tomorrow I’ll make a decision as far as treating her further/doing more diagnostics and euthanasia. If she’s in kidney failure or there’s an obvious skull mass or something along those lines I’ll probably euthanize. If her bloodwork comes back clean and it’s a dental issue or just an infection I’ll treat her and try to place her.

I’m not asking for donations towards her care, but if anyone wants to send some kind thoughts her way she could really use them. Since I don’t know yet what we’re dealing with I’m also not looking for an adoptive home quite yet, although if anyone is interested in giving her a home for her last few years if all turns out well, definitely let me know.